Tabs

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Attending a New Event

About a week ago, the realization came to me that I was going off to Folsom Fringe and then attending at the end of that event, the Folsom Street fair and would be a "newbie" to both. I wouldn't know many people other then presenters that I have had the pleasure of being in their class. I didn't know much about how the events would run other then what I read off the web. It caused me some anxiety but I quickly decided I would treat it like my first time entering the scene.

Being an Event Warrior

As someone I respect said recently, "be an event warrior". To quote him, Shibari Warrior:
Simply put, you need to become an Event Warrior. Bring the needed supplies of nourishment, clothing, watch and an ability to discern whats really important for you. Factor in time for sleep - nobody made you go 20 hours of classes, socializing and play, you decided that.

I am traveling with someone to both events so I had to pack wisely and augmented my clothing in case it would be cold. I also planned after I arrived to purchase water or whatnot as needed.

Expectations

I have been enjoying the local public scene and the east coast scene at events. I know people and can manage to start trouble especially the kind that I like. For this event, if I expect that sort of enjoyment, I will probably be disappointed.

So I am resetting my expectations to what I did when I first entered the public scene. By doing so, my disappointment will be not exist and I will enjoy myself much more. My goals are simple, attend classes so I can learn and enjoy meeting people both new and old. If some play time comes out of it, I consider that a bonus.

My friend and I have showed up a day early to let travel stress evaporate and put us into a mentally aware mindset. We struggled to sleep in this morning after arriving past 1AM East Coast time. It was good we put the "do not disturb" sign on the door and kept it there. We didn't need fresh linen or the added stress of organizing our stuff.

We went out and had lunch, walked around and came back. We have relaxed, read and surfed the web. In a few hours, the start of Folsom Fringe will occur in the form of registration and a meet and greet. I am looking forward to it with a big smile.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you both have a really enjoyable time. Please be sure to 'report back' and let us know how it was.

    ReplyDelete

Counter